Revue celtique obituary of John Gwenogvryn Evans, translated

I’m just ‘reading this into the record’, so I can link it from another post…

Obituary: JOHN GWENOGVRYN EVANS, J. Vendryes in Revue celtique 47, 1930. (Auto translated from the French and lightly polished for clarity)

Moins d’un an après sir John Morris Jones, John Gwenogvryn Evans entre à son tour dans l’éternel repos. Si ces deux bons Gallois se rencontrent aux Champs-Elysées, il faut espérer que leurs ombres, délivrées des passions terrestres, poursuivront dans le calme et la sérénité les discussions qu’ils menaient ici-bas si âprement. La violence qu’ils mettaient à se combattre, à se déni- grer, dépassait toute mesure. Comme le motif s’en ramenait tou- jours à l’interprétation d’un texte ou à la lecture d’un manuscrit, c’était pour tout spectateur impartial un sujet à la fois de tristesse et d’étonnement. Dans une polémique aussi excessive les torts étaient également partagés : on ne trouvait à qui donner raison. La postérité oubliera heureusement ces vaines disputes et ne retiendra d’eux que les bons services qu’ils ont, chacun dans leur genre, rendus à la philologie galloise.

Less than a year after Sir John Morris Jones, John Evans Gwenogvryn also turns to his eternal rest. If both Welsh good-men met in the Champs Elysees, it is to be hoped that from their ghostly shadows would depart all their earthly passions, and that they would continue in peace and quiet the discussions they had set down in print so fiercely. Put aside the violence that they put into their fight, which involved denigration beyond [any seemly] measure. Since the final pattern of meaning is always found in the reader’s own interpretation of a text or a manuscript, then their quarrel seemed to any impartial spectator a subject of both sadness and amazement. In such a controversy the excessive wrongs were evenly split: and no-one was right. Fortunately posterity will forget these vain disputes and we shall retain these men in our memory for the good service they have, each in their way, given to Welsh philology.

John Evans était né le 20 mars 1852 à Ffynnon Yelved, Llany- byther (Carmarthenshire), et fit son éducation première au Presby- terian Collège de Carmarthen. Entré de bonne heure dans le ministère sacerdotal, il fut quelque temps pasteur de l’Église uni- tarienne à Preston (Lancashire). Atteint de tuberculose pulmo- naire, il dut cesser son service paroissial, et les médecins lui déclarèrent qu’un dénouement fatal ne pourrait être retardé — et seulement retardé — que s’il se décidait à partir pour l’Australie. Il s’y décida. Mais l’amélioration de sa santé lui parut trop lente à venir; il quitta brusquement Melbourne le 6 février 1882 pour rentrer dans sa patrie et il débarqua à Gravesend le 25 mai suivant. Il se rendit alors à Oxford, brûlant de l’ardeur de l’étude ; il y retrouva son grand ami O.-M. Edwards, qui nous a laissé un portrait touchant de cet « invalide », pour lequel vingt minutes de lecture étaient alors une pénible épreuve. Mais cet invalide avait une énergie farouche; il s’entêta si bien au travail qu’il eut raison de sa mauvaise santé. A Oxford, dans l’entourage de sir John Rhys, il trouva des condisciples qui partageaient son ardeur et dont l’émulation l’excita. Il se proposa l’édition aussi exacte que possible des vieux textes gallois, si souvent maltraités dans les publications modernes, et il devint paléographe. C’est comme tel qu’il faut le juger pour apprécier tous ses mérites. Il publia successivement un facsimile autotype du Black Book of Carmarthen (R. Celt., IX, 297) puis, avec la collaboration de sir John Rhys, l’édition diplomatique des Mabinogion et des Bruts d’après le Red Book of Hergest (ibid., VIII, 192 ; IX, 290 ; XI, 504 ; XII, 294). Vint ensuite, toujours avec la collaboration de Rhys, l’édi- tion du Book of Llandav (ibid., XIV, 205). En 1894, il fut nommé inspecteur des documents en langue galloise, fonction qu’il occupa jusqu’en 1906. Prenant sa charge au sérieux, il entre- prit la vaste enquête qui porta sur environ 900 manuscrits et aboutit au monumental Report on Manuscripts in the Welsh Language, en deux volumes (ibid., XIX, 343 ; XXIV, 95 et XXXI, 533) : c’est son œuvre maîtresse ; elle est pour la philologie galloise d’une importance capitale.

John Evans was born 20th March 1852 at Ffynnon Yelved, Llanybyther (Carmarthenshire), and was educated first at the Presbyterian College in Carmarthen. He came early in the priestly ministry, and was for some time pastor of a Unitarian Church in Preston (Lancashire). Suffering from pulmonary tuberculosis, he had to stop his parish work. Doctors declared to him that a fatal outcome could be delayed – and only delayed – if he decided to leave for Australia. He decided on it. But the improvement in his health seemed too slow in coming; so he abruptly left Melbourne on 6th February 1882 to return to his homeland. He landed at Gravesend on 25th May. He then went to Oxford, burning with the ardor of the study; there found his great friend O. M. Edwards, who left us a touching portrait of this “invalid”, a man for whom twenty minutes reading time were a painful ordeal. But this was an invalid with a fierce energy; he persisted in his scholarship and he had time to work because of ill health. At Oxford he became part of the entourage of Sir John Rhys, in whose company he found fellow students who shared his ardor and the interests which excited him. He also proposed the need for exact editions, as exact as as possible of the old Welsh texts – which were then so often abused in modern publications. He became a palaeographer, and it is on such work that we must judge and appreciate its merits. He successively published a facsimile autotype the Black Book of Carmarthen and with the collaboration of Sir John Rhys, a diplomatic edition of the Mabinogion and the ?? from the Red Book of Hergest. Then came, working in collaboration with Rhys, an edition of publishing the Book of Llandav. In 1894 he was appointed inspector of manuscripts in Welsh, a position he held until 1906. Taking his charge seriously, he undertook extensive investigation which brought about 900 manuscripts and leads into the monumental Report on Manuscripts in the Welsh Language in two volumes. It is his masterpiece; it is for the Welsh philologist a work of paramount importance.

Il avait épousé Edith Hunter, fille du principal du Presbyterian Collège de Carmarthen — elle mourut en 1923 — ; et il avait été s’installer dans le voisinage de Llanbedrog, en un lieu qu’il appela Tremvan. Sa maison était bâtie sur la hauteur dans un site mer- veilleux, dominant cette région si pittoresque du Carnarvonshire, ayant vue sur la mer de deux côtés et par un ciel clair permettant même, disait-il, de découvrir la côte d’Irlande. C’est là que tout en dirigeant attentivement l’exploitation de ses terres, il poursuivit sans relâche sa carrière d’éditeur de textes. Successivement parurent : les Mabinogion du White Book of Rhydderch (ibid., XXXI, ioé), le Book of Aneirin (ibid, XXXII, 209), le Book of Taliesin (ibid., XXXVII, 137), les poésies du Red Book of Hergest et les lois du Book of Chirk. Il a publié dans la Revue Celtique (t. XL et XLI) le manuscrit le plus ancien des Gogynfeirdd. C’est à Tremvan que la mort est venue le frapper en plein travail, le 25 mars 1930.

He married Edith Hunter, daughter of the principal of the Presbyterian College Carmarthen – she died in 1923 – and settled in the neighborhood of Llanbedrog, in a place he called Tremvan. His house was built on a site high up in a marvelous site overlooking this picturesque region of Carnarvonshire, with sea views from both sides and clear skies allowing him, he said, to sometimes discern the coast of Ireland. This is where – while careful directing the use of the surrounding lands – he continued relentlessly his career as a text editor. Successively he produced: the Mabinogion of the White Book of Rhydderch, the Book of Aneirin, the Book of Taliesin, the poems of the Red Book of Hergest and laws of the Book of Chirk. He has published in the Celtic Review the oldest manuscript of Gogynfeirdd. It was at Tremvan that death came while he was still hard at work, 25th March 1930.

Ses mérites comme paléographe étaient universellement reconnus ; ils lui valurent le doctorat honoris causa de l’Université d’Oxford (en 1903) et de l’Université de Galles. On peut regretter qu’ils n’aient pas suffi à son ambition. Les tentatives qu’il fit pour la critique et l’interprétation du Book of Aneirin et du Book ol Taliesin lurent des moins heureuses. Le meilleur service à rendre à sa mémoire est de n’en pas parler. Mais comme dernier titre de gloire, il faut signaler la part qu’il prit à la création de la! National Library of Wales à Aberystwyth. Dans une série d’articles publiés par le Western Mail en août 1928, il raconta: lui-même comment son action personnelle auprès de sir John Williams fut définitive. Il écrivait avec esprit et sa conversation avait beaucoup de piquant. Tous ceux qui ont pu le connaître de: près conserveront le souvenir d’un travailleur enthousiaste et obligeant.

His merits as palaeographer were universally recognized. They earned him an honorary doctorate from Oxford University (1903) and from the University of Wales. It is regrettable that these awards were not enough to stay his ambition. The attempts he made at the criticism and interpretation of the Book of Aneirin and the Book of Taliesin proved less happy. The best service we can render to his memory is not to talk [of the contention that these aroused]. But I have left to the last his other great claim to fame – it should be noted the part he played in creating the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth. In a series of articles published by the Western Mail in August 1928, he told of how his personal appeal to Sir John Williams had clinched the matter. As a writer he wrote with wit and his conversation had a lot of pizzazz. All those who have known him will retain the memory of an enthusiastic and helpful worker.

— J. Vendryes.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s